perjantai 28. maaliskuuta 2014

Traveller Reskins: Scout, type S

Kicking off my redesigns of the Mongoose Traveller spaceships, here's my version of the iconic scout ship. Now, I know that in it's original incarnation, the scout ship was wedge-shaped, much like the Imperial Star Destroyers, so I did not want to use that. Also, I'm not quite sure what the sublight propulsion of the Traveller ships is supposed to be, but whatever it is, in my book there should be some sort of reverse thrusters, unless you want to turn the whole ship around in order to slow down. Hence all of my designs will have engines in back and front. Sure, there should also be some smaller navigation thrusters, but I guess they are too small to be significant on the deck plans.

Other than the thrusters, I also deviated from the 'standard' plan by making the individual staterooms much smaller, so that I could get larger common area (washroom and a kitchenette) for the crew. I also introduced a second airlock at the bridge, 'cause that just seemed to make sense. The Scout is all about utility and redundancy, and having a second airlock in case the primary one malfunctions was a no-brainer.

One thing that also bugged me about the Mongoose plans that it was not always clear how the decks related to each other. Hence the cut-out section, to show the decks and the vertical shafts align.

Just one final note: These are just the previews, the final files will have grids and whatnot. But that will have to wait until I have all the designs I initially planned to do ready.

2 kommenttia:

  1. Good redesign!

    In answer to some of your musings - sublight drives in most Traveller ships are gravitic thrusters, so don't particularly care which way the ship points, at least in the default setting. However, house rules and your own Traveller Universe may obviously vary!
    As for airlocks, the design rules originally specified 1 airlock per 100 tons of starship as the normal allocation. I'd probably not want to risk boarders being able to directly access my bridge!

    VastaaPoista
  2. Interesting redesign however I am not keen on the final result.

    Those reverse thrusters do not make sense. On the timescales ships operate on you loose nothing by using flip and burn to change the ships thrust vector. At the same time, if you stick to standard rules, those extra motors either come at the cost of thrust from the main engines or a reduction in payload. Neither option is justified by extra capability.

    On the other hand by putting everything on two decks it looks like you have managed to create a proper cargo bay with a useful cargo hatch which has long been a major complaint of mine with many interesting small ship designs.

    VastaaPoista