torstai 18. kesäkuuta 2015

D&D 5th Character Cards - Wilf Mulberry, 3rd level Rogue

Even before I had the books, I had decided that I would try an urban campaign this time. And rather than having the PCs be some miscellaneous vagrants who just happen to stumble upon stuff, I wanted them to be a part of the establishment, in order to give them clear reasons to investigate the strange goings-on in the city. Thus was born Constabulary of Oldgate of the Highcliffe City Watch.

For the first character, I wanted a rogue who would work on the right side of the law. Initially I was on the fence whether Detective Wilf Mulberry was to be a Halfling or a Gnome, but then the tinkerer aspect of Rock Gnomes sealed the deal. And the +2 to intelligence was not to be scoffed at, either.

I gave Wilf a modified Acolyte background, being brought up by the church of Hieronymus, the God of Knowledge, with his sister, thus gaining proficiency in History and Insight. However, unlike his sister, Wilf never felt that his calling was to devote his whole life to the church, and although he still is quite reverent towards the ideals of his patron God, he wanted to find another way to utilize his skills and knowledge in the wider world.

Wilf is quite serious and a bit of an introvert, and tends to get carried away in finding mechanical solutions to problems both in his career and in his personal life, to the consternation of his colleagues and Captain Anneke in particular. He is easy to be underestimated or even ignored, a fact that he has used to his advantage in several occasions. He is usually moderately but neatly dressed, but rather than his own fastidiousness, this has to do with the diligence of his landlady, an elderly Coastlander widow who seems to have taken Wilf as her pet project.

Wilf was built using the default ability scores, as I wanted to see what kind of characters these would yield. He is also not very optimized, as I did not want NPCs that would easily outshine the PCs, and also ones that would be relatively easy to play, mechanically speaking. Had I made Wilf a PC, I think I would have gone the Arcane Trickster route rather than the Thief, and would probably have made him a Forest Gnome instead. But to round up the group of investigators that make up the Constabulary of Oldgate, he's a fine addition.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti