lauantai 6. kesäkuuta 2015

Digital Inks - Wilf Mulberry, take two

After the - let’s say less than stellar - first outing with the Jot Touch, I’ve had more experience with the stylus, and have grown more accustomed to it’s qualities. There’s still a bit disconnect with how I would like it to perform, and what it actually does, but I’ve grown a lot more confident with it, and the variance of style compared to traditional ink and paper does not bother me that much anymore. One thing I found that was quite a good exercise for both fiddling with the brush styles and the flow of the strokes was to try some calligraphy with the stylus. These exercises helped to drive home the differences and how to alleviate them.

But although the process - and the result - was smoother than before, there’s still a lot of room for improvement. I still had to do some lines several times over, although a big reason for this was that the sketch was less clear than I could hoped for. Also I still haven’t had to nerve to tear off the screen protector, partially because it might not be the cause of some of the issues I’m having, and for other uses the iPad is utilized, I think the protector is a good idea. Although it is starting to peel off at the edges a bit already, so I guess I’m just waiting for an organic moment to remove the protector film and then to see if it has any effect.

So, here’s the second attempt at Wilf Mulberry. Besides the difference in style, I also this time tried to account for the fact that I intend to colour the drawing at a later date, and thus the detailing and texturing was left to minimum. In a way, I kind of like the rougher, less polished first attempt, and that sort of style might work pretty well for some purely black&white drawings, perhaps with some rougher set of brushes as well. But for as a base for the coloured artwork, the more polished style works better, I think.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti