maanantai 6. toukokuuta 2013

City in Ruins - Ruined houses

When I first started making ruined buildings I went for more or less intact ones, with a wall or two collapsed, and partially roofed. Now I want to make some more heavily damaged ones, using the same recipe. I have based my buildings on HirstArts blocks, but actually building whole series of houses using the bricks would mean way too much casting - and would make the buildings much heavier than I would like. Therefore, I usually use the blocks for foundations and detailing, but use foamboard, cardboard and balsa wood for the other stuff. For walls, I usually use 3mm Foamboard. It is sturdy enough, and the thickness is close to 1/8 of an inch that meshes well with the HirstArts blocks.


The plan here is for a simple house with a small amount of the second story left. The 5"x3" refers to the  size of the foundation, so the walls themselves are 1/2" shorter. There's no windows or doors marked on the wall plans, but on the foundation I did leave out the width of my separately cast door piece.

The corner stonework is made from a modified 1/2"x1/4"x1/4" brick, from which the thickness of the foamboard has been filed away. I suppose one could file all the pieces by hand, but for me it was evident I would need a lot of these, and making a custom mold for these was the sensible option. There are great tutorials at the HirstArts site for moldmaking, if one's interested.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti